Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) is the standard protocol for email transmission on the web and is what mail servers use to send and receive emails on the internet. CivicRec's Custom SMTP Server option allows you to change the SMTP server used to distribute emails from the CivicRec server to your own Exchange server. For some, this option helps to achieve better performance and control over the distribution of outgoing emails.
If you are interested in having this feature enabled for your organization, please have the following information available and submit the request to the CivicRec Technical Support Team to set up a time/call to configure this feature, allow your credentials to be entered, and test for successful email send.
- The configuration of this setting will require instruction and approval from your organization's IT staff or service to ensure the configuration will adhere to your organization's requirements and that the ongoing maintenance required by this feature is implemented. For example, any time the password is updated by your organization (to adhere to security protocols and password recycle timeframes) the credentials need to again be configured and tested within CivicRec.
- The ability to receive read receipts and bounced emails to your inbox will also depend on the system your organization uses.
- Host: smtp.domain.com
- This is the server name for your SMTP server and the port that your mail server expects communication to come through.
- Port: 587
- This is a number that signifies the method by which the mail server will send and receive emails.
- CivicRec Best Practice: Traffic should always be encrypted using TLS/SSL and should use port 587.
- Username: firstname.lastname@example.org
- This is the username associated with the account that is authorized to send.
- Both Username and Password are required to save the settings and have SMTP work properly through CivicRec.
- Password: Secure_Passcode_Of_Your_Choosing_7#
- This is the passcode to the account that is authorized to send.
- Important: You will be provided a time to provide the password or enter it yourself on the configuration call. Please do not send this password in an email or live chat to CivicRec Technical Support. For security reasons, providing this in advance in writing will require you to change the password before configuration.
- Batch Size: 30
- This is the number of emails per length of time that your organization's mail servers will send in.
- CivicRec Best Practice: 20 - 50 emails per batch
- Time to Sleep: 25,000
- This is time to take to resolve between batches of outgoing emails in microseconds.
- CivicRec Best Practice: 25,000 microseconds (0.025 seconds)
If you are interested in having this feature enabled for your organization, please have the above information available and submit the request to the CivicRec Technical Support Team to set up a time/call to configure this feature, allow your credentials to be entered, and test for successful email send.