This article identifies how CivicRec can be integrated with the ArcGIS Geographical Information System. Typically, this integration is intended to allow city and county parks and recreation departments the opportunity to price programs or base access on a patron’s residency status.
- This is a paid integration and if you would like a quote please reach out to your customer success manager.
There are no specific software requirements for integration between CivicRec and ArcGIS, however, professional services fees apply to work performed by CivicRec to enable this integration. The customer is responsible for ensuring that the ArcGIS version being used supports the integration method described below.
Live REST (Web Service) Integration
The REST integration allows for the CivicRec server to call the customer’s ArcGIS service in real-time, during account creation. The ArcGIS server will return data to CivicRec that is used to determine residency status. The registrant’s account is then flagged based on up to the minute residency data. There are a couple of advantages to this integration method:
- Residency data is always up to date
- ArcGIS has particular capabilities around parsing address information. Where CivicRec is likely to be more literal in dealing with misspellings, apartment numbers, etc, ArcGIS will be more capable in its handling of address anomalies
When using the REST API, you must know the well-known endpoint, which represents a server catalog. The integration needs to access specific address points, which can include but are not limited to, Full Address, Street Number, Street Name. A REST Service that provides only a shapefile is not supported.
For ArcGIS Server, the default endpoint is as follows: http://<host>/<site>/rest/services/<folder>/<serviceName>/<serviceType>
Breakdown of the endpoint:
- http://<host> is the ArcGIS Server host name.
- /<site> is the site name. The default value is "/arcgis/". ArcGIS Server accepts a site name specified in a URL as lowercase (arcgis) or camel case (ArcGIS). Using an all lower case site name is the recommended option.
- rest/services indicates the REST services endpoint. You'll see a list of all services in the root directory along with any folders. This part of the URL is case sensitive and should be specified in all lowercase.
- /<folder>: When the URL endpoint is to a folder, you'll see a list of all services included in this folder. Folder names are case sensitive and should be specified in the case as it was created.
- /<serviceName>/<serviceType> represents the name of the service and its type (for example, PopulationDensity/MapServer). The service name is case sensitive and should be specified in the case it was created.
- The service type should always be specified in a mixed case format as defined for each service in the REST API reference (for example, MapServer, GeocodeServer, GPServer).
Additional Capability of the REST API Integration
Note: Additional fees will apply. This feature is for desktop only and is not currently supported for mobile view.
In addition to being able to search for a full address in ArcGIS, the REST API allows CivicRec to offer suggestions to the registrant to ensure that the address being entered is normalized. In other words, as a registrant (or staffer) begins to type “1234”, CivicRec can pull suggested addresses from ArcGIS like:
- "1234 Main St"
- "12347 Main St"
- "1234 Oak Avenue"
- "12345 Elm St"
This provides a user-friendly way for the registrant to ensure they are picking a fully normalized address and won’t mistakenly be marked as a non-resident because of misspellings or other extraneous data like apartment numbers.
It should be noted that this capability could also coach a non-resident into selecting a resident address. The customer should weigh the benefits against the risks of having CivicRec activate this capability.
Important Note: Only submit this form if you have paid for the ArcGIS Integration.
Please fill out and submit the ArcGIS form to set up your ArcGIS Integration. Once the form is submitted you or your GIS representative will work with our Analyst on finalizing the integration and testing confirmed addresses.