If a Credit is issued in CivicRec, we would debit the money out of a Revenue Account (which nets that revenue account at $0 between the purchase and the credit) and credit those funds to a Liability Account. Then, if that credit gets used, the money gets debited out of the Liability Account (which nets the Liability Account at $0) and credited towards a new Revenue Account.
Entries for a hypothetical sequence involving $100:
- Original Purchase
- Debit Cash $100
- Credit Original Revenue Account $100
- Debit Original Revenue Account $100
- Note: Original Revenue Net is back to $0.
- Credit "Account Credit" Liability Account $100
- New Purchase
- Debit "Account Credit" Liability Account $100
- Note: Liability Account is back to $0.
- Credit New Revenue Account $100
- Changes on each account after all of this is:
- Cash: $100
- Original Revenue: $0
- Account Credit: $0
- New Revenue: $100
- Note: No double revenue recording.