This article outlines three methods of transferring current facility reservations from your previous system into CivicRec. These methods can be utilized to block off the facilities in CivicRec during your implementation to prevent double booking once you go live.
Questions to review to decide on which method will work best for your organization:
- Do you need to collect money from the reservations?
- Is there a possibility that the reservation(s) will need to be refunded?
- Is there a possibility that the reservation will need to be adjusted and incur an additional fee?
Option 1: Import Future Facility Reservations
Importing facility reservations requires the least amount of data entry. The Future Facility Reservations Import is a contracted item for CivicRec Implementation. The Future Facility Reservations Import is most useful when the data from your previous system is relatively ‘clean’ (up-to-date and well-maintained) and can easily be formatted into the import template spreadsheet provided by CivicPlus. Contact your CivicPlus representative if you are interested in purchasing the import.
Options 2: Entering Reservations as Internal Reservations (Calendar)
This option allows you to create internal reservations so the dates and times are blocked off in CivicRec and reflect accurate availability on the Calendar.
- When you create an internal reservation in CivicRec, it doesn't create a transition because it doesn't involve any exchange of money or payment.
- Internal reservations are typically used for reserving facilities or resources for internal purposes such as staff meetings or training. Unlike customer reservations, which involve customers reserving a facility or resource and making a payment, internal reservations are made by staff members or employees of the organization using CivicRec.
- Internal reservations in CivicRec cannot be refunded or adjusted (incurring an additional fee) because they do not involve any exchange of money or payment. Since no payment is made for internal reservations, there is nothing to refund.
- Navigate to Facilities > Calendar
- Apply Filters
- Click Refresh
- Click on a date for a new reservation
- Fill in reservation details
- Facility: Select which facilities are to be reserved. The Rate Type does not matter since the fee will be bypassed.
- Date & Times: Select the dates and times of the reservation(s)
- Recurrence: Select the desired recurrence option from the drop-down
- None/One time only: No recurrence and/or just a single event
- Daily: occurs every day occurs once a week
- Weekly: occurs once a week
Note: The date and time section is the first reservation date and the series will end at the Until date.
- Monthly: Occurs once a month
- Relative Date: Select Relative Date to indicate that the session will be based on the week of the month, versus the day of the month.
- Assigned User: Select and assign a user account for the reservation
- If the customer does not have an account, you can create one before connecting the account as the Assigned User.
- If you do not care about connecting the reservation to an account, you can leave the Assigned User field blank and simply enter the customer’s name in the Notes section.
- Notes: Additional Comments
- Enter any details specific to the reservation such as the event title or receipt number in your previous system.
- Default Color: Select a color to represent the reservation
- Status: Select a Reservation Status Type
- Consider creating a reservation Status for "Transferred from Old System" to be able to filter easily in reports.
- Conflicting Reservations: Select an option for handling conflicting reservations on the calendar.
- Don't allow: Choose if you will not allow the reservation to be made if there are conflicting reservations.
- Skip conflicting reservations: The conflicting dates will not be booked but the other dates that do not have conflicting reservations will be reserved.
- Override conflicting reservations: Select to reserve the dates even if there is a conflicting reservation.
- Save (No Checkout) will create an admin/internal block off
Option 3: Enter reservations as customer reservations (Catalog)
This option allows you to create customer reservations through the Catalog. Although this method takes the most amount of time with manual entry, these reservations can have balances in CivicRec and they can be refunded/adjusted.
- When you create a customer reservation in CivicRec via the catalog, it creates a transaction (receipt number).
- Customer reservations are processed through the catalog which involves a customer or staff member reserving a facility or resource and making a payment applying a balance to the customer's account.
- Customer reservations in CivicRec can be refunded or adjusted because a transaction was created. Payments can be taken at the time of checkout or a Pay Later balance can be added to the customer account.
- Create an account for the renter.
Note: If you purchased a User Import, make sure the import is completed before beginning to transfer facility reservations.
- Create a "Paid in Old System" Payment Type
- Reserve the Facility From the Catalog