Once you properly configure the GL, according to the steps outlined in General Ledger Configuration, CivicRec provides three tools to assist the customer in ensuring that the GL remains in balance.
Please note that, in the event of deferred revenue, CivicRec makes the date of payment entries and the date of service entries at the same time. So, it is typical to see effective dates when you view the GL entries for a transaction with deferred revenue. This is what allows CivicRec to produce unearned revenue reports.
- Navigate to Configuration > Financial Settings > GL Configuration
- Navigate through GL Configuration tabs
GL Configuration Tabs
- Transactions Needing Attention: This tab identifies any items in CivicRec (programs, facilities, POS, etc) that, when set up, were not indicated to populate a revenue (GL) code. You can add the revenue code directly with this screen, or the user may choose to proceed to the Item itself and edit the GL tab.
- Items With GL Issues: This tab identifies transactions that have already been entered into the system but were not populated properly with GL codes.
- The criteria used to identify these transactions follows:
- Any transaction with NO entries in the GL
- Any transaction where total debits do not equal total credits in the GL
- Any transaction that should have deferred revenue and do not
- Any transaction where debits and credits are both revenue accounts
- Regenerate GL: This process automatically tells CivicRec to clear the codes on that transaction and reset them according to the system settings configured above. This step is useful if the user has corrected a known issue in configuration. (e.g. an Item that previously did not have a revenue code). If the user takes steps to adjust the GL configuration, regenerate the GL to tell CivicRec to reset the transaction according to those new settings.
- Manually Set GL: This step should typically not be necessary but is useful if there is an underlying problem with the transaction that prohibits CivicRec from setting the proper codes automatically. In that case, the user can force the GL entries as long as they manually set the entries in a way that balances debits and credits.
- Note: View our article View/Set GL for more information on how to use this tool.