CivicRec can print/cut thermal receipts using your receipt printer and open POS cash drawers. To do this, we use a Java plugin that prints directly to your receipt printer and/or cash drawer.
Before you follow the below instructions, ensure your hardware is configured properly by following the steps in the Receipt Printer Configuration article.
Step 1: Connect Your Printer and/or Cash Drawer to Your PC
- For USB printers, make sure it is connected and you installed the drivers from the manufacturer (either by cd or downloaded). The printer should be visible in "Devices and Printers" in Windows.
- For connecting directly via serial, see the "Connecting a Serial Printer in Windows" section at the bottom of the page.
- Cash drawers must be plugged into a receipt printer via RJ11 or a similar connection. Supported receipt printers can be plugged directly into the PC via serial or USB.
View our recommended hardware.
Step 2: QZ Tray App/Java
- Make sure you have the latest version of Java installed
- Most current customers use the QZ print app, either by Java applet or tray app. However, the new USB-hid-QZ tray app is our recommendation for all and is a better solution.
- Download v2.0.12 of the QZ Tray App
- Note: CivicRec supports version 2.0.12 and back. Please do not download 2.1 or higher as it may interfere with the performance of the receipt printers.
- Note: Safari will not work with the Java version, as Java is no longer supported by it. Internet Explorer is the only way to use the Java version, and using the QZ tray app is the modern, more reliable method.
- Note: After downloading check to make sure the QZ tray app is set to automatically start
Step 3: Configure CivicRec
In CivicRec, connect your printer and configure its settings.
Step 4: Use in CivicRec
CivicRec uses a pop-up window that you can minimize in the background to stay connected to the receipt printer. This makes printing receipts extremely fast from the browser.
Connect a Serial Printer in Windows
Add a "generic / text only" printer named CivicRec for compatibility and/or serial printers.
Additional Steps for Star TSP100 Series Printers
- Star TSP100 printers must configure in Epson ESC/POS mode for cash drawer and receipt-cutting functionality.